Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Dictate Email to Your Phone

I'm not a fan of texting, although my Treo certainly makes it a lot easier. It's hard to believe we're expected to type entire text messages on these absurd mini-keyboards, which has me wondering when smartphones will start incorporating voice recognition features for texting. Believe me, it would come in handy when you're driving.

Since I still have a Treo 650, I searched through Palm's software section hoping to find an application that turns speech into text. And what do know, I found Treo Voice Dialing, a dictation software that runs on mobile phones. Apparently, hundreds of phones including the Motorola Q, BlackBerry Pearl, and others now come preloaded with VoiceSignal software, but if they're not, you can find the application online. This program also allows you to place phone calls using your voice. I have voice recognition technology in my car, and it can be frustrating when it doesn't understand what you're saying, but I'm hoping this software is better.

PCWorld also reports that a company in the U.K. is about to release a service that gives users the ability to dictate emails into their PDAs. The Yodal Service (could use a more descriptive name) is going live in January.

With all this talk about employers being liable for BlackBerry thumb, I'm sure companies will be flocking to this program. If they're not, send them a link to this story.

| Dictate Email to Your Phone

0 Comments about Dictate Email to Your Phone:

Post a Comment

<< Desirability of Opening a Business